SXSW 2007

This is my travel blog. It started as a way for people to keep up with my trip to Australia to watch the 2006/7 Ashes series, and continued with my trip to SXSW 2007 in Austin, Texas, and Las Vegas in March '07.

Thursday, March 15, 2007


It's about 2:30 in the morning and I've just got in from the night's entertainment. I have to put some of my thoughts and memories down now or I'll have forgotten most of them by tomorrow (or today as it is now). I have to say that I was a bit unsure as to whether this trip would be a bit of a bust or not. It was a bit of a shot in the dark really. So it is really gratifying to be able to report that has been GREAT FUN! I've seen about 8-10 different bands or acts so far, from acts I've never heard of, to ones that I have, and really like already, such as Razorlight who played the NME event. I guess that they are not as big over here as they are back home as you would never be able to see them in such a small venue in England. Other people I've seen are the Automatic (just caught the end of their set), Jamie T and the Bravery (pictured).
I also saw a strange performance down at the stage at the convention centre this afternoon. The schedule said Robyn Hitchcock, so I was expecting a female singer/songwriter type. Instead I got a male 60's hippy throwback, who proceeded to perform accoustic versions of songs from the sixties and seventies, while, in between numbers, interviewing a guy by the name of Joe Boyd, who was some sort of producer in the sixties and worked with people such as Bob Dylan (he was there when Dylan did his famous electric performance), Pink Floyd, The Incredible String Band, Nick Drake etc. It doesn't sound much on paper, but in the flesh it was rivetting. These guys must be better known than I would credit because the auditorium was packed. Perhaps the better musically educated (Faz/Pug/Moz?) can enlighten me?
I also saw on the same bill a band from London called Scanners, a fourpiece, with 2 guys and 2 girls. One of the girls was the singer and she (and they) were very good. As a result I went and saw their set in the evening as well. Some catchy numbers, lots of attitude and a good looking female singer. Could go far? You heard it here first.
A quick point - as a well known non-drinker I am often found ordering a diet coke (other brands are available) from the bar. In 2 separate venues tonight the bar tender wouldn't let me pay for it on the grounds it was only a diet coke and had no alcohol in it. It seems that in the land of the unfettered profit, there is a heart after all. Indeed in all my years buying the same drinks in the UK I have NEVER been given a free one! So perhaps a little less of the sense of superiority over the Septics could be in order? OK, rant over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home