SXSW 2007

This is my travel blog. It started as a way for people to keep up with my trip to Australia to watch the 2006/7 Ashes series, and continued with my trip to SXSW 2007 in Austin, Texas, and Las Vegas in March '07.

Thursday, November 23, 2006


I think yesterday (1st Test Day 1) was an education for all involved. Certainly for England as the score of 340ish for 3 indicates. It's going to be a long and very hot tour. Unless we bowl exceptionally on day 2 we are looking down the barrel of 5-600 and having 3 days to bat to save the game. I thought we stuck at it well - no real howlers in the field, apart from Harmison's first ball which was hardly on the cut part. Moz & I didn't actually see that ball as we were still queuing to get into the ground - the organisation was poor & we would have missed more of the game had they not opened the gates & let people in with no bag checks when it got close to 10am.
It was a bit of an education for me as well as I had forgotten from 4 years ago how hot it gets in the sun here. Just sitting watching cricket takes it out of you. You sit stewing in a marinade of suntan lotion and sweat, turning a sort of beetroot red colour. I had to take refuge in the back of the stand during the afternoon and evening sessions just to cool down. The sun reaches us about lunchtime and from then on it's a pretty full-on BBQ session. I managed to avoid getting burnt - just a bit of slight tenderness on the face but OK. Which is more than I can say for quite a few of the other England fans - there were a number who had been on the beer all day & had omitted lotion on their list of essentials who were going to regret it later when they sobered up.
The police were present in great numbers, several people got chucked out for being drunk, and they were cracking down on anyone trying to start Mexican waves as well.
Any way, Day 2 awaits. It's about a 20 minute walk from our hotel which is OK in the morning but seems like an hour in the evening when all you can think of of is a nice cool shower!

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, November 24, 2006, Blogger faz said...

Chaps- honestly all we have for entertianment here is a bunch of half-wit socalled celbrities, most of whome aren't really known to the public, on this show I'm a Celebrity Ashes, in which they undertake so-called 'Bushtucker' Trials in Australia, and fail miserably to get any stars or wickets or runs...hang on, let me check that programme.

ENjoy play on Day 3!
faz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home